Thursday, August 31, 2006

grandma s.

so i've been thinking about grandma s. this week...i think it was 5 years ago this past monday that she passed away. i miss her very much. so here's an "ode" to grandma:

What I Miss About Grandma S

1. I miss watching Scooby Doo with her...I was always scared of the villains and wouldn't watch it without being on her lap.
2. I miss the Grandma smell...it's silly, but no one ever smelled the same and the house just isn't the same without her. (and i don't mean smelly..she smelled great!)
3. I miss rabbit in the hole...she would cut a circle into a piece of bread, put it in a frying pan and cook an egg in the hole. I tried doing it once, but it wasn't the same.
4. I miss the full Grandma kid library...it's been mostly dismantled now. Good ol' Jake McGee and His Feet, Sport and other great books.
5. I miss watching Jeopardy with both her and Grampa.
6. I miss sleeping over and waking up to doughnuts and sugar cereal.
7. I even miss her immediately asking, "Whaddya want taped?" whenever I called.
8. I miss her care packages to me in college...they came whenever I needed them most, and she always seemed to just know when to send them. I ate that squeeze cheese on crackers all the time in the dorms!
9. I miss her waving from the kitchen window whenever we drove away.
10. I miss her just being in the house...it took a long time after she was gone to not feel that she was just in another room and that you could just go down the hall and she'd be there.
11. I miss mud milk.
12. I even miss buttermilk...yuck! It was just normal for it to be in the fridge, not that I ever drank it.
13. I miss going into the bedroom and just looking in the closet to see what cool stuff Grandma had. Dress-up!
14. I miss ravine trips.
15. I miss Grandma's laugh.
16. I miss how she let me fall asleep during a conversation with her and mom one semester after finals. she knew that it was nothing personal, and that I was just exhausted.
17. I miss how she would call Mom and vice versa. I think it's great how close they were.
18. I miss her sweaters.
19. I miss the innumerable clothing magazines always around.
20. I miss her generosity. I still wear the dresses and skirts that she bought for me as an 18 year old (although I won't fit in them much longer!).
21. I miss her doing puzzles...there was forever a puzzle on the dining room table.
22. I miss how she would let us have toys in the kitchen and run and slide on the tiles.
23. I miss the silly picnic towel in the bathroom...and the cartoon frog on the wall.
24. I miss hugging her. What great hugs!

I just miss her. I wish she could have seen my wedding and graduations...not to mention my future kids. It's a good thing that we don't know when our loved ones will be taken from us, because I never would have left on my mission if I had known that that was the last time I would see her on this earth. I wasn't ready for her to go. But I know that I'll see her again someday, and that gives me comfort.

4 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Blogger annahannah said...

lo, you maketh me to cry. this is kinda what i wanted to do on monday, but it was still too painful. maybe i'll still try.

love ya

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger dan said...

Scooby Doo was good times. I also agree with many of the things on your list (not the ones about wearing dresses though :-) )

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger dieinahugefire said...

thanks, guys. glad you liked it. i realized this morning that i forgot about playing probe and grandma's green beans with bacon.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger dieinahugefire said...

and don't worry, mom, you'll cry when you do it...it's inevitable. But you'll also smile when you remember the good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home